1. Braiding your hair in a loose braid and sleeping on silk pillowcases helps protect your hair from frizz and from quickly getting split ends.
2. Washing your hair less is known to protect its own natural oils, which give it its shine and elasticity.
But what do you do if you workout and sweat each day? Surely, your hair feels gross if you don’t shampoo it!
But hold off from washing it daily… That’s right! It’s best to let it adapt! It may look unclean and feel uncomfortable at first, but if you just wash it with water and only condition the ends, it will get used to it and feel fresh regardless of the daily sweats!
3. Is your shampoo bottle almost empty? Don’t finish it off just yet! Dilute it with a little bit of water and shake to mix well. Remember that you automatically use 2-3 pumps of shampoo when you wash our hair (especially with long hair) – now consider if you do this daily or every other day. The natural oils of your hair will be stripped off! Diluting your shampoo bottle will give you:
- A free refill
- Milder shampoo
- A cost-effective way to protect your hair while maintaining the frequency of how much you like to wash it!
4. Tired of cleaning chunks of your hair from your hairbrush?
Try this: brush the ends of your hair first, and then slowly work your way up to the scalp – using a wide-toothed comb instead of a bristle brush! This will help reduce hair loss.
5. If today is not one of your days to style your hair, and you’re just opting to let it air dry, then make sure it dries fully before going out! Wet hair invites dirt and pollutants to stick to it!
6. Crossing your fingers that the curls you just made with your curling iron will stay voluminous throughout the day? Try holding your curling iron horizontally when you are making your curls, rather than vertically! This will give your volumes a longer boost!
7. Psst Psst… A tip for blondes! Did you know that purple-colored shampoos neutralize the yellow tones in hair? So for all those natural blondes out there, and even for those with blonde-dyed hair: say bye-bye to brassy tones, and helloooo to bright fresh tones, by mixing a tiny bit of purple-colored shampoo with your favorite shampoo brand!
8. Just got your hair done, but it looks electrified from the static on your car seat? Easy! Get your hands on a dryer sheet and rub it over your hair – it will smooth out all the frizz!
9. Fancy a smooth-looking ponytail without flyaway hairs? Spray some hairspray on a toothbrush and brush it over the flyways to tame them and keep them at bay for a smooth look.
10. Have you been enjoying the pool a bit too much and your hair is now paying the price? No biggie. Before swimming, wet your hair in the shower and saturate it with conditioner. Then go into the pool (without rinsing the conditioner off or towel-drying your hair). The no-chlorine water and conditioner will act as a coat of protection and won’t allow your hair to soak up the chlorine from the pool.
11. Wash your hair with room temperature water – not hot water. Hot water damages your hair. As for cold water, despite the myth that cold water helps your hair cuticle to be flat and therefore, increase its’ shine, it only does so for a short amount of time!
As soon as you towel-dry or blow-dry your hair, there is no more evidence that cold water is good for hair. In fact, cold water traps moisture in your hair, making it look more flat!
Room temperature is the way to go.